SEM: consider SEM, or Pay-Per-Click (PPC), or search engine advertising, as SEO’s commercial cousin.
As opposed to organic rankings on search engines, SEM features top & right of the page on search engine results, those highlighted ads that come up based on keyword search.
Key tips for getting SEM right:
- keywords are as important in SEM as they are in SEO
- narrow down your ad groups by service, topic, audience
- create landing pages for each ad group (providing a relevant experience)
- incorporate ad text into landing pages
- test different headlines to see which offer better conversions
Is there life beyond Google.... mmmm.... some... (thanks www.seomoz.org)